Re 460 Decals: Latest applications

• I bought a Swiss re 460 on E-Bay Germany with the 'CATS Musical' livery ..

with decals applied ..

Upon close inspection, it appeared to have been done with one of the manufactures printing machines..it was so good… [Maybe HAG?]

Upon making some inquiries, I found out who had done it [in Germany].

I contacted this person and he gave me some information on how to do the decals ..

---------------------------------------------

I purchased some decal A4 13 micron paper from www.drucker-onkel.de .

Why buy from Germany?

Out of all the UK suppliers I contacted, non could confirm the thickness of their paper ..

And the 13 micron paper applies better than lesser thicknesses ..

The decal paper was for laser printing ... which I had done in a local shop ..

-------------------------------------------

I did some time back purchase some ink jet decals, which I printed myself ..

But one needs to apply some clear lacquer on the paper, to stop the water based inks from running when putting in water ... but this degrades the decal application.

I also tried some self-adhesive sticky transparent vinyl paper [for inkjet printing] .. but this was too thick, and just covered the side ribbing on the loco… .not going into the groove's ..

------------------

All the art work was done in Corel Draw ...

Some of the more complicated designs… .I found photographs of the original loco and traced over it with Corel ..

The pictures are my first attempt… .some problems with the decals stretching when applied, but not every time .... It takes a bit of practice ..

The only drawback is that ink-jet and most laser printers do no print white ..

So the loco has to be air brushed white first..so that any white graphics show up as white ..

• I bought a Swiss Re 460 on E-Bay Germany with the 'CATS Musical' livery ..

with decals applied ..

Pictures please!

I purchased some decal A4 13 micron paper from www.drucker-onkel.de .

Why buy from Germany?

Out of all the UK suppliers I contacted, non could confirm the thickness of their paper ..

And the 13 micron paper applies better than lesser thicknesses ..

The decal paper was for laser printing ... which I had done in a local shop ..

13 microns are too thick, decals with such a thickness easily can be recognized. My colleague uses 7 microns - purchased at Drucker Onkel as well. To print and apply 7 micron thick decals asks for quite some know how and skilled craftsmanship!

All the art work was done in Corel Draw ...

Some of the more complicated designs… .I found photographs of the original loco and traced over it with Corel ..

The pictures are my first attempt… .some problems with the decals stretching when applied, but not every time .... It takes a bit of practice ..

The only drawback is that ink-jet and most laser printers do no print white ..

So the loco has to be air brushed white first..so that any white graphics show up as white ..

First of all, you need a laser printer capable to use white toner. Ink-jet printing looks awful and the lightfastness is pretty lousy.

Please allow a critical remark: we have a kind of a gentlemen agreement which states:
    - locos with designs of a regular supplier (as Märklin, HAG, Roco) will not be copied and

- designs one of the loc painters has created will neither be copied.

For instance: locos with the Toblerone design are the domain of Holger, the cheese designs of SOBA. Nobody else should do it (but the cheese locos from Märklin - Re 460 - or Staiber Re 456 or Re 460 - are excluded as well). It's just not fair to use designs other have created. To copy a desing from another is just a shabby plagiarism. It's additionally unfair for all those which purchased an "original". As long as an other type is used there are no infringements. To develop a design by your own is kind of an intellectual process, to copy someone else can be done in principle by everyone, that's just a scam! However, we cannot prevent anybody from doing this....

Gruss

Roland

• Roland...

Actually I purchased the ‘CATS’ livery loco from ‘ricardo.ch’..[not E-Bay Germany as I thought]

After some investigation on its origins, I made contact with Holger Schafer, who confirmed it was one he had done..

He also gave me some hints on how to do these decals..

-----------------------------

Some time ago, I tried the 7micron decals from a local hobby shop [made in China I think]

For inkjet printing....then one has to apply clear lacquer. Before immersion in water to stop the inks running..

The application’s were a complete failure..

The next try was A4 self-adhesive sticky transparent vinyl paper….sort of looked ok, but it was too thick and one could easily see the edges of the paper and it would not go into the groove’s on the Re460 ribbed sides....So also a bit of a failure..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next try was the 13 micron laser paper…a lot better..

Had to get them printed at a local shop….who had a laser printer.

But as you say…..’asks for quite some know how and skilled craftsmanship!’

I have a long way to go....and I have not got the loco bodies to practice on..

------------------------------------

Your ‘critical remark’……Ouch!...That caught me by surprise.. and noted..

However, most of what I do is taken from the original real life re460/465 loco’s..[some will have been made by the big manufactures]

I search the internet for Swiss Company logo’s….If I find one I like...I design something around it.

I do not do these for selling on, they are just one off’s for my own collection and pleasure...

Besides, they are not up to a standard that would make them sellable..

------------------------------------------------

I started collecting the 460/465 a few years ago…about 155 origionals [Roco/Trix/Marklin/HAG]

And about 15 with my own Decals….Managed to obtain 10 white Roco bodies [unpainted] from Zuba-Tech…..Swiss model shop.. Some years ago.

I have been to Switzerland twice to photograph the railways..Erstfeld [before the new tunnel opened] and Zurich/Lucern HBF’s etc..

------------------------------------------------------

I am sure I have come across pictures of your collection ?...Impressive..[I cannot remember where I saw them on the internet]..

Thanks for your help..

Peter

• Roland

Talking about the Cheese re460's... I did manage to purchase 2 of these...

One a Marklin with the elongated circles..which I had to convert to 2 rail operation..

and the other a Roco version...43655/CHAES......with round circles...

I read somewhere the Roco was a limited edition [50 made] ..

-------------
    Some time back..people were talking about a 'Club Roco' which only distributed a limited number to say Switzerland I think..?

I have not come across any information on the internet regarding this 'Club Roco'..

------------

Do you have any thoughts on this..

regards

Peter

• Hi Peter

you can have a look at a subpage of my own old webpage. There you'll find a description about the whole history of the "famous" cheese-design. (Sorry - it's in German).

I'm aware that Staiber created 50 HAG locos with the cheese design - but this was a private project and not officially initiated by HAG.b The number of locos made using Roco models is unknown to me. But you can address the question here in the forum directly to Daniel Staiber.

I'm not involved in the activities of Roco Club Schweiz. I only know that they issued 5 special models, called Lok of Design. You can find some info about it on my page Roco Sondermodelle. You better look for "Lok of Design" than "Roco Club"

Gruss

Roland

• Roland...thanks for the info..

Just out of interest…

I started collecting the re460/465’s a good few years ago …..all Roco..[I have most of their different liveries..the one’s I like]

Then about 2 years ago I saw a HAG ‘Skandia’..and thought I must have that one..

After a couple of unsuccessful bits on E-Bay and I saw one at ‘Rare Models’ France..and bought it [An AC 3 rail] which I had to convert to 2 rail..and then inserted a HAG led lighting kit with a ESU sound decoder..

My first HAG…Then I saw some pictures of the HAG ‘AIR14’. Another must..

After a few months of searching, I found one in a model shop in the USA….again 3 rail which I had to convert and fit a HAG led lighting kit plus sound decoder...

So now I am hooked..

Then came 465 ‘Les Miserables’ and the other 2 musicals 'Elizabeth' and 'Miss Saigon'..

The latter, two lucky bids on E-Bay..

And on and on it goes..

I wanted the HAG ‘Zimba’ two were available, but at very high prices [over £1,000.00each].

So I did not get the ‘Zimba’..

I also have a few Trix and Marklin Hamo’s and Marklin’s, again I have had to convert the Marklin’s to 2 rail..

I do not think I will catch with your collection….Maybe if I was working, but now retired and not enough funds..

Regards

Peter.

• Hihihi - you're in a good shape! Well done sofar! :thumbsup:

I know Jean François from Rare Locos. I also puchased models from him. He has a huge variety of models, but - as you noticed as well - he is often pretty expensive. Nevertheless, sometimes he is capable to sell real specialities.

Jean François is occasionally one of our suppliers of pictures of rare locos for the HAG Product Database,

My figures for the Re 460/465 family (incl. the Norwegian EL18, the Finnish VR SR2 and Chinese KCRC) look like this:

Allmo: 3

HAG: 422

Märklin: 52

Roco: 69

The above figures contain as well the custom painted locos. I only could achieve these figures due to the support of a number of very helpful colleagues and sometimes the luck to be at the right time at the right place....

My ranking is: I preferably buy HAG, if not available Märklin and only if still not available Roco. At present, I hardly can find any missing model anymore. First of all, I have already quite a number of models. From all regularly produced Re 460 models from HAG I miss exactly one. Guess which! :D:D

Gruss

Roland

• Roland..

Quote: ‘I miss exactly one. Guess which

Looking through the pictures of your showcases, I cannot spot the HAG ‘Air14’…..?

Please tell me .

----------------------------------------
    I have two large [ish].layouts..

One in a double garage [German based] and one in my mum’s ex. Bedroom [Swiss/Austrian based]. Both Digital sound 2 rail..[I will post some pictures in another post].

---

I notice you are from the Zurich Säuliamt region…?

I had an English friend who had a flat overlooking the lake in Oberrieden…and I spent two holiday’s there back in 2014 and 2015…to photograph the Swiss railway’s..

A good, enjoyable experience. Lots of photos and video..

The drawback, when I returned home, I was looking to buy more re460’s to match the ones I had photographed..

Until later

Peter

• Looking through the pictures of your showcases, I cannot spot the HAG ‘Air14’…..?

Please tell me .

Nope ^^ - that's not the missing one. I even own two of them, the regular one (tampon printing) and one out of a small series made on the basis of UV digital printing, Have another try ... :D

Peter - I'm retired as well. You are an important step ahead of me: I'm still lacking a display ;(;(

Yep - Oberrieden is not too far away from the place I live. BTW, I was workig for several years in the neighbourhood (at Dow Chemical in Horgen). Obfelden is located in the Reusstal. On the other side of the river Reuss, one of the most important line for the transport of goods (north to south, resp. Germany/Benelux - Italy and vice versa) is located. Of course, there are not many Re 460 seen on these rails but many other interesting types of locomotives and cargo trains.

According to my impression, one of the best spots to witness many different Re 460 is the railway station of Olten. Olten is the crossing point of the north to south and east to west railway lines. Several important passenger lines hit Olten. If you want to see these locos just in hand distance, I recommend Zürich Hauptbahnhof. It is a terminus station and the locos are most of the time at the head of the train (unless they use the line in tunnel below the surface).

Gruss

Roland

• Roland

Many hours and days spent at Zurich HBF…[2014/2015]

Platform 12/13..there was a yellow service cabin at the end of the platform.

With seats outside/toilet/running water….all open and no one around,..an ideal spot.

Unfortunatly, my first visit abroad by myself [other than tour company holidays to hot spots like Spain/Canaries etc].

Although I had a base at my friends flat in Oberrieden..a bit restricted to the line to Zurich HBF

But I did venture out to Lucern HBF and Erstfeld for a day each.

Not being used to European travel was a bit of a setback..

2015,2016 and 2017 it was Austrian railways..I was lucky enough to rekindle a friendship with an Austrian girl I had met 35 years earlier…she had a car and was able to ferry me around..and bought me a Vienna travel pass..

A visit to the AMY Johnstrasse – Wien [model railway club]

Modellbau-Messe – Vienna – [impressive show]

Railway museum – Strasshof

Miniature Tirolerland – Vienna [An out of hours special visit arranged]

Regards

Peter

• Roland…

I am puzzled about your missing loco..

But just for a bit of fun……

How about BLS 465 011 in Lime Green..

The same colour of a Lotus Europa I had for 40 years [sold it in 2014]

But I think I still have a tin of Lime Green touch up paint..

So I could air brush a body [If I had one to spare] and the graphics are easy..

I was 36 when the first picture taken back in 1980..the last one taken 2014..

Regards

Peter

• The missing one of the regularly produced HAG Re 46x models has the article number 282.03 - the third of the Norwegian EL18 machines. It's even uncertain that HAG ever produced this model. I haven't seen it sofar (what is pretty irrelevant ...). It might be that HAG only announced, but never produced it.

The lime green BLS Re 465 will be announced by HAG soon. HAG already has received the permission to produce this model.

The frog green color of your Lotus looks fancy! Nice car you had :thumbsup:

Gruss

Roland

• This is / was (?) the base #4 (Posten 4) for the shaunter employees... There have been some other bases in the station, mostly in the shaunting fields. In the years before smartphones it was the place for them to check if their trains were on time and on which track those were arriving, on the PC there inside. At this time the most of the trains were not equipped by cab-cars and they had to be pushed back with shaunters on the end of the trains to guide the train driver with radio contact...

Liebe Grüsse
    Roman

• Sandy

Holger is the artist of the vast majority of my custom painted locos.

So it is a pleasure to see him joining us here.:thumbsup:

Gruss

Roland